Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Day 14- My first Fartlek….ya you heard me!

For most of you (which also included myself initially), you are probably wondering to yourself what is a Fartlek!! Well to my limited understanding, it is composed of a warm up easy run, following by a specified distance at a fast pace that ended with a cool down run (much like the warm up in speed/ pace).

With this idea in my head, I set out for my first 4 mile fartlek. According to the above description, I failed to maintain my fast-pace for 2 miles. It was more like a medium, fast, fast, “Oh my gosh cant do that anymore”, slow, slow, and deciding to stay with a medium pace. LOL

Later that night, I was talking to a friend about my run and how I just did not meet up to the definition of a fartlek when I was told that my definition was incorrect! Thank God! J

So Everybody…..a Fartlek is “ a run in which the runner varies his pace during this run” (according to http://www.coolrunning.com.au/expert/1997c002.shtml). So what my 4 mile fartlek should have looked like was 1mile warm up, 2 mile varied paces (2 minutes fast pace, 2.5mins medium pace, repeat until finishing 2 miles) and end with 1 mile cool down! Now that I have a better idea as to what I am supposed to do, I am excited to try my next fartlek, which will be next Tuesday!

Motivational song for this run:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ODDtLMiGnY

1 comment:

  1. That is the way I "run" a marathon. I will alternate running for 2 minutes, then walk for 1 minute. By the way, did you get a shoe size larger than your normal shoe size? Like a 1/2 or full size larger? If you're not having any problems with your feet or toes, that's fine. But if you do start having any problems with them, you might try a larger shoe size.

    ReplyDelete