Thursday, February 16, 2012

Rain or shine....you run

So on Wednesday I headed off to the cafe to study for my RD exam (the test before I can start my career as a Registered Dietitian). It was a gorgeous overcast day (Yes, I am that weird Southern Californian that LOVES clouds and rain). Well the overcast day became a day of torrential downpour. It was a great start to my day sitting and watching the rain. Then the hail came and my smile grew more.

After about 4 hours of studying, I headed home and that's when it dawned on me....I still have to do my 5 miles run! So I waited to see if it would die down a bit. Two hours later and still nothing had changed! So I got on my long, tight-like running pants, long sleeve thermal, my huge windbreaker/snow jacket, and hat. I had signed up to train and that means even in the rain!

I have to admit, I LOVED it!! It was wonderful to run to the quiet patter of the rain and within God's nature! The rain remained constant for the majority of my run. Once I hit my half way point, I was happy to be heading back home because by this point my legs were getting pretty cold. Out of anything I would have to say cold legs, or should I say muscles, make running quite difficult! My speed and endurance started to ebb, but I keep going as much as I could. I made it home, even though I was probably about 0.5 miles short of my 5 miler. But I am proud that I still went out and did the best I could. Sometimes that is more important that the actual success- the drive to try! Like John C. Maxwell says in his books, "the first step to success is to try" (paraphrased).

Needless to say, I ended up opting out of yoga that night! The yoga class I go to is heated. So I didnt want to go from cold to hot and chance getting a cold!

Until next time....

No comments:

Post a Comment